Thursday 10 December 2009

Sunday School teaching is spiritual growth

Just a quickie to let you know that I had my first day in Sunday School this past week. WOW! Since coming into CS, I've been on the platform singing on Sundays and had no idea how much work it was to teach SS!!!!!!!

Since class, I've been cherishing the idea of teaching in the SS, and have also been praying for it - both in my church and all over the world. When I had class, the SS in my church was 1 student a week, if that. These days, the norm is usually 9 - 11 students, and during the summer when people move back into town, there are 2 more regulars.

My class is the teens - 1-7th grader, 2 -8th graders, an 11th grader, and a senior. I'd love to see the class split w/ the younger students having their own class - there is a definite gap in concentration and experience!

Anyway, talking about teaching SS in class instruction was so very helpful. THANK YOU!!!!

I had originally planned to spend time on the Bible and had chosen my Bible story for the week fm the lesson. When the time came, the students were really quite interested in the Bible, seemed to not know it at all, and wanted to hear about Elisha. So, I actually gave them a little lesson on Elijah first and the passing of the mantel to Elisha. We went around the table and read fm the Bible, which they seemed to enjoy very much. There is a reading-challenged 8th grade boy who stepped right up and read his portion. He was misbehaving before the reading part came up, and once he read, he settled right down.


The entire hour was WORK like I don't think I've ever done before. CONSTANT replacing of what was before my eyes w/out a moment's break!!!! I must admit that for a moment I longed for the ease of my singing contribution. But, I do see that I am ready for this challenge and that it is right for me to be right where I am at this moment.

My practice of CS has changed (for the better!) and I'm rejoicing all the rugged way! Who knew that SS was so challenging! I am not dismayed, and am looking forward to the ensuing weeks.

I gave the class homework to be due in 2 weeks (I've got a concert this Sun and won't be in church) and the class seemed to be excited about the assignment - rewrite the 10 commandments in your own words - make it relevant to your lives today. They also liked the fact that I would keep in touch w/ them via e-mail during the week. [I found a great sub for my class for all of my upcoming out-of-town concert dates through June! He's a high school teacher who doesn't want to be tied down every week but is willing to sub].

So, this is my report. I'm sort of laughing at what a whimp I am.... being challenged by high school kids! But I'm happy to take on the challenge and am rising! Who knew that high schoolers were so very different fm college kids!

NEXT....

A student from West Chester University who is taking a comparative religion course asked to interview someone fm the CS church. That person was me. We had a delightful 90 mins together before t-giving, and she wrote me last evening w/ a list of unanswered questions. One question was, what did we believe about evolution. I immediately remembered your article Only One Intelligence, and I sent her a snippett from it. Thank you!!! I read this article before ever meeting you. Your articles have always spoken to me and seem to come to my aid when I need them! The Christ in them speaking to the Christ in me!

OK - that's it for now. As always, thank you for everything you are and everything you do. See - who knew that an article you wrote in 2006 would be touching a WC college student in the year 2009, or that your class teaching in 2006 would be touching a group of teenagers in WC, PA in the year 2009 and 10........

xo
Lorie

No comments: