Friday 29 August 2008

My granddaughter

Denize who is 13 just spent 4 days with us. What a delight! She is so enthusiastic, guileless, and interacts without self-consciousness. I learn a lot from her. At Coriolanus, her first Shakespeare play, if you can imagine, she didn't complain about the language or the confusion of the plot. Later she told her dad you catch on to the language and described the high points, like how Coriolanus died spitting blood. How did they do that?!? (confetti, but I didn't tell her)

She is so humble. I'm using her for my model on how to be humble. She is so good natured. She asks, and if the answer is no, she smiles and says I thought so. I want to be like that.

I might be introducing her to plays and to a wider world, but she is giving me a greater gift - uncomplicated simplicity. I want to grow up to be just like her.

I love you Denize.

No comments: