Monday 14 September 2009

Healing from radio interview

I was very touched when I read Elise Moore's description of her visit to a homeless shelter where the reception room alone contained almost 100 drug-addicted individuals. The seeming chaos of the drug dealers and prostitutes milling about with the those drunken and aggravated could have been quite overwhelming. But as a chaplain there to help, she courageously relied on prayer and her understanding of the law of God's goodness to witness the evidence of the Christ in control. At first nothing happened, and she was even accused of making a disturbance as she quietly prayed! But as she persisted in seeing that only "the Christ is here," the tumult began to cease and soon the room was filled with a sense of peace. Human consciousness was being redeemed and uplifted.

I was reminded of the Bible verse from Isaiah 11:6: "The wolf shall also dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid ... And a little child shall lead them." This past week's my Bible Lesson referred to this verse in a Bible Note, and I thought it was a compelling description of the modern day scene which prevailed in this homeless shelter: "Picture this happy, untroubled and peaceful scene. Wild beasts and tamed animals lying side by side. No growling, no snarling, no fearful bleating, no attacking, no fleeing here. And standing with them is a little child ready to love, nurture, and guide them."

Yesterday our family enjoyed a visit to a local beach. It was extremely crowded and active, with hardly a spot to put your beach towel on the sand.
As I talked with the lifeguard while my husband and children were swimming out in the ocean, a frantic call came over all the lifeguards' phones that a child had been missing for over half an hour. I immediately recalled Elise Moore's experience in the room amidst the chaos, and I decided to pray with the idea that "the Christ is here." I sat down and continued to work along the same lines, recognizing that only the law of good, God, was operating right then and there and that in every situation, our prayers can have a healing effect. I knew that all concerned could feel the divine presence of the Christ, and this divine presence provides guidance and safety to each individual. I felt at peace as I knew that divine Spirit, Love, was present. In a short while, the little girl was found playing happily in the sand. I was so grateful.

The message of hope that Christian Science comforts us with is just what mankind needs today! This is true for those struggling with addiction but also for any individual feeling lost or separated from good. I will remain forever grateful for the periodicals and the Bible Lessons (in all their
formats) which are published by the Christian Science Publishing Society.
Thank you very much.

No comments: