Monday 22 September 2008

Ipswich MA lecture

The lecture prep for this church was on Supporting Church Growth. Since the time we began working together earlier in the summer, they have added 6 people to their branch membership, including one person signing the book the day of the lecture prep! He brought a visitor with him to the lecture.

A member heard in the intro that I’ve done interfaith work. She asked if I would be willing to do an interfaith talk in their area, to which I said of course! She is a member of an interfaith council and is clearly thinking about giving just and true replies to public theological topics about Christian Science. How interesting that my first lecture after our Chicago meeting and thinking about talking to ministers and religion classes, a person approaches me thinking the same. She also mentioned the New Thought movement. I'm increasingly interested in seeing what Kurt Schreiber comes up with to help me clarify the distinction between New Thought and the origins of Christian Science.

After the lecture Heloisa Rivas, co-chair of the lecture board, and Abigail MacKay from Australia took me to dinner. They had come for the lecture. What a delight to see them! Abigail was a total surprise. She and I have a special connection from several years ago but haven't had the opportunity to really visit since. She told her story of being stateless for 7 years, of living in 4 disparate countries including S. Africa for 15 years, US taking her masters at Carbondale, UK with her husband, and then back to Australia. It's quite a story.

I'm staying in this cute apartment in Glastonbury. So comfy that I decided to do the radio interview from here on Weds and not drive so late at night into Boston. Turns out well. I can pick up Jeffrey at Chestnut Hill where he is helping them with computer technology. So it is a blessing for everyone.

Tried to take video at the Ipswich lecture. It worked after the lecture prep but too many people wanted to talk with me and tell me their stories after the lecture. No one wanted to stay to put it on video, or maybe they just didn't want to put it on video. Not sure if this is really going to work.

No comments: