Friday 1 May 2009

Feedback from Rockville MD God speaking to you

As I further think about your talk, I want to tell you how grateful I am that my "takeaways" had to do more with the "higher mission/ emphatic purpose" of Christian Science, i.e., the healing of sin (and all that implies), not physical healing. (MBE is very clear about this in S&H and Rud. Divine Science). This (healing of sin) unfortunately, is not what CS is best known for. I'd love to see our pews filled with people who just want to know "God is Speaking to Them" and let all the rest come later.

PS Being out of CS for a number of years, and in mainstream Christianity, I learned much about core Christian teachings that were both new to me and not really what I'd learned about them as a CS.

While I understand your working through "evangelical" and "inerrancy of the Scriptures" for a CS group -- well, most non-CS folks I've met over the years have been very kind and gentle with us. However, some come down quite forcefully on some basic Christian teachings they feel we violate. I'd never have picked up on this without being in a very evangelical organization (Los Angeles Mission) for so many years. We had 13 chaplains, and I frequently had to remind them to think of the Good Samaritan parable before asking people if they had "accepted Jesus" and to remember 1 John re we can't even know God if we're not loving. I said this after hearing long and loud prayers and then seeing them criticize other staff, come in for work late, etc. And, their (and others) very low tolerance level for those who "claim to know Jesus but really don't." Fun times!

-Marshall

No comments: