Tuesday 5 May 2009

Ocala FL

About 150 people gathered in a beautiful auditorium with perhaps 15 newcomers and six children. Two children were the first to talk with me afterward. One little girl of 7 was quite taken with the talk. I heard later that she is very spiritually minded and applies spiritual ideas in healing on the family farm. Once when a group of bulls escaped from their enclosure and the adults scattered in fear, she scooped up a handful of feed, walked past a bull and holding out the feed quietly called, “Here bully bully.” Walking slowing toward the enclosure, the bulls followed her meekly.

Two people told me stories of listening to God and being protected. One man told of a friend who had heard God tell them to move, and right after doing so a sheet of ice and snow fell off a roof over the spot they had been standing. Another woman told of being kept safe in a theater situation similar to mine when she was young.

Other people told me that they had heard God telling them to come to this talk, and had done so. They were glad they had. One man drove two hours from Orlando because he was impelled by God to attend. Another man said he’d recently returned to Christian Science after 60 years and this was his first lecture. He’d heard ideas that were helpful. A woman drove from Orlando to tell me that she had been healed at the Longwood/Orlando lecture. She said she was going to call me to pray for her, but after the talk realized she had been healed.

Several visitors took notes and told me afterward how much they enjoyed the talk. Others mentioned the atmosphere of love which they felt. All the articles they had Xeroxed were taken and four Science & Healths were given to newcomers.

Some friends from my childhood attended, a dear couple who were close friends of my parents. It was a special joy to visit with them afterwards. I met a man who had been a major influence in my life and that I hadn’t seen in over 30 years. We’d met at a youth meeting where we’d gone to Sunday School and sat together at some of the sessions. He’d gone through primary class at age 16, and that had greatly impressed me. At the time, I’d thought class was for people over 20 or when they graduated from college. His experience, and that he still attended Sunday School, had completely changed my thought and motivated me to take class the following summer. It was delightful to meet him and thank him for his positive influence. I’d like to get his facebook or email address and keep in touch.

Ocala has a growing and active Sunday School. After the lecture, a few of us talked in the parking lot about Wednesday night being “Family Night” and having a more youthful atmosphere. A member of Winter Park was quite taken with the idea and said she’d take that idea to her church. Ocala folks considered how they might include children in their Wednesday services.

No comments: