Thursday 30 April 2009

Spanish lecture in Rockville MD

This was a really good event. It was a lecture in a day workers organization called CASA. We started before the introducer arrived, because the people were assembled and the director started making announcements and introduced me. They were ready and off you go. I kept it short and concise, given the attention span and interest level of the assembly. Everyone stayed put and listened to the whole thing, except just a couple who were called into the office. Much better attention level than I expected. The staff got interested. The woman at the desk began listening and agreeing with points during the talk. She asked a good question (for the benefit of the others I’m sure) which let me talk about what is spiritual understanding.

There were around 50 people there. All the literature was taken. Everyone took the Bible and the secretary went over to get a copy for herself. There was a high interest in Science and Health. Since the copies were quickly taken other people took notes from the local contacts, as to where to get S&H etc. Several people talked with me as well, and I kept pointing them to the locals because I wanted them to make local connections. One man said specifically he was looking for a church, again I had him talk with a local.

This was a well conceived event. I’m hoping the CS community arranges with the staff to show up once a week on Thursdays for the next few weeks to follow up on this event. If a CSist shows up at about the same time 7:45 with literature, Heralds and some S&H and makes themselves known and available to talk with anyone who would like to pray about their situation, this would be a big blessing to the population as well as build a bridge between the CS church and these folks.

The seeds for a Spanish speaking group were in that room. There were both men and women interested in prayer and learning more. But my experience is that we have to go to them to establish an ongoing relationship. Then local CSists can discern who is interested in a Reading Room type experience or church or children for Sunday School, etc.

A lot of inspiration went into setting this up. The male director was skeptical right when we arrived, and I had to reassure him several times but he got behind it, and after I started, he became comfortable with what I was doing. Good work, to all those involved in the planning, prayer and execution of this event.

The Christ heals and saves in every language.

No comments: